by Jenene Stafford
Yesterday I was watching a video from a well known female coach. In her training video, she said “Please don’t take a offense to what I’m about to say, but if one more woman says she wants to be a light, I think I might scream. What does than mean anyway?”
It got under my skin.
But, I got her point and it was well taken.
So many women talk about being a light and letting their light shine, it’s sounding over-used.
Perhaps it leaves people feeling good, but it needs to be followed up with what it means.
The world is becoming more “spiritual” and letting their light shine so how do we set ourselves apart as Christians?
“You are a light of the world- like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your Heavenly Father.” (Matthew 5:14-16)
One thing for sure, Jesus made a declaration!
He didn’t say I think you should be a light, He said, “You are a light.”
So be encouraged! He was letting us know that being a light is a position of authority and favor. This is what it boils down to for me:
- We bring light to all the platforms God makes available to us
- We impact the world through good deeds
- We glorify the Father in Heaven by being recognized for good deeds
- No one will know you credit your successes back to the Father unless you verbally give Him the credit as someone following His example
- (Matthew 5:17-20) In context, you better make sure you’re living righteously and not just trying to look good, but keep your heart and motives pure (unlike the teachers of religious law and Pharisees.)
Live Brilliantly Today!